• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

I'm having surgery April 7th

Hi everyone,

Well my surgery is scheduled for April 7th. I'm really excited about it - from what I have read and heard from other people is that it is the best decision most have made.

I have a really bad stricture at the iluem. I have had 3 balloon dialations and they have not helped at all. So that is why surgery is the best solution.

So what can others tell me about their experience post-opt? Recovery time? pain? How long you were out of work for?

I would just like a general idea of what to 'except' post-opt. Thanks in advance!

Erin

I'm excited for you to have your surgery!! Hopefully it will make you feel great!! After I had my surgery in November, (18" of small intestine, 1cm of colon removed)...I was surprised by how limited I was...but that was because they cut through your core to get to the good stuff. i couldn't laugh, talk loud, cough, sneeze (OUCHY)...it hurt to move. I stayed in bed, save for 15 minutes a day I would walk around my ward, for 8 days. When I returned home after the 8 days, I was stuck to my couch for a good 2 weeks. I would get up to go the bathroom, or to get some food, or change the DVD, and that was IT. haha. I was off work for 8 weeks, and I was feeling up to par about 2 weeks before I went back. I am still recovering now, though, and still have little cramps in the same area which my GI tells me are 'healing cramps'...but I feel SO much better.

One strange thing I noticed was that my 'trigger foods' are different now. Things I could eat with no problem before, I can't touch now, and vice versa. Couldn't eat ice cream before, can now...could eat chocolate all I wanted before, can't have ANY of it now...sad.

Good luck with everything!

My surgery was a little different, but this was my 4th surgery so I kind of knew what to expect. I had surgery Feb 9th and had a foot of my small intestine removed and about an inch of colon. I was in the hospital for only 4days, I was able to go for a walk around the ward the same day as my surgery. I felt great right away, but I had an epidural that was put in before surgery so that way my incision area would be numb to help with pain management (I highly recommend this). After I came home I still felt great a little tired but that was about it. My incision is also very long from my ribs to my pelvic area. I can't lift anything heavier than 5 pounds right now. I think they want me to be off work six weeks, but I feel like I could have gone back already. I guess everyone is different and it really depends how quickly you heal. Good Luck!!

7 days after surgery and I'm ready to go back to work.
My advise is to walk,walk,walk even after you come home. I feel good and I'm not tired at all.
Good luck!

I had a hand assisted lapropscopic ileocectomy where the surgeon removed one foot total of ileum and cecum. It was severely inflamed to four times a normal intestine. I also had a stricture and lots of inflammation but nothing else. I was able to walk the next day and felt more pain from the two IVs than the surgery.

Last edited: