• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Itchiness due to Humira?

Good Morning, I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease almost two years ago. I've been on Humira since May 2018. Around last September I started having major itchiness on my scalp to the point of having bleeding and some clear discharge. Then shortly after I started with itchiness on my stomach and upper right chest area. My dermatologist gave me medications to use, but it has only been a temporary solution, the itchiness has not completely gone away. Has anyone had any type of experience such as this? My gastro doctor is about to have me start using Stelara instead of Humira. What kind of experience has anyone had using either medication? Betty

Hello, I haven't been on Humira but had insane scalp itching at one point when my crohns was flaring but I wasn't on any meds. It was so bad it kept me awake and I would slather my scalp in coconut oil. I've been on entyvio for nearly a year and get itching scalp and body (especially sides of stomach) but not as bad, and a friend who recently started entyvio also described itchy skin. So it could be flare related or meds related. Stelara is supposed to be good for psoriasis so might help you. It's hard knowing what to do for the best.

Hello, I haven't been on Humira but had insane scalp itching at one point when my crohns was flaring but I wasn't on any meds. It was so bad it kept me awake and I would slather my scalp in coconut oil. I've been on entyvio for nearly a year and get itching scalp and body (especially sides of stomach) but not as bad, and a friend who recently started entyvio also described itchy skin. So it could be flare related or meds related. Stelara is supposed to be good for psoriasis so might help you. It's hard knowing what to do for the best.
Thanks for your response. I have one more injection of Humira to go. Then my doctor wants to start me on Stelara. I've been going back and forth with what to do, but after discussing everything with my doctor, he decided to change my Crohn's medication seeing my itching symptoms still exist. I sure do hope this helps, I am nervous to change meds. I hope all is well with you.