• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Manifesting areas of Crohns Disease.

S

Skinsfan1229

Ok, I dont really want to "Poll" this. I'd really rather have people answer with an individual type answer, personal like.

How many of you seem to have other manifestations of your Crohns Disease?

I have skin problems...in which I have severely dry skin(dr's chalked up to the ashtma for YEARS until just recently)

I also have the joint problems of course.

I also have finger nail "problems" if you must say, in which my finger nails grow thick and fast when I flare.

I've also experienced numerous times of having kidney stones that had to be surgically removed.

I've also had my left ureter inflamed from the crohns itself.

Whats everyone elses manifesting crohns like?

Cara Fusinato

Sarcastic Forum Comedian
I have had kidney stones about 5 times, I had huge gallstones at the point I had my gallbladder removed, I too have very dry skin, I have had bladder infections most of my life, I have been very susceptible to colds, flu and the like, and I have "osteoarthritis," Oh, and let's not forget the dreadful acid reflux-- now if those are related or un, no one has ever told me, but the GI doc nods a lot about those things.

Kev

Interesting, very interesting...

Ok, dry skin... not just seasonal.. (altho worse in winter) Had it since I was a child

Kidney stones... had them (plural) just once, few years after severe dehydration (flu)...

Osteo arthritis... (not rheumatoid, thank god).. Told it was natural for tall people..
esp. with all of sports, weightlifting, fighting, and work injuries over the years.

Nail problems... grow phenomenaly fast at times.. had to have 2 nails removed...

Acid reflux/acid stomach... this always occured whenever I became constipated.. If I somehow 'cured' the constipation, the acid problems went away immediately..

Here's one that I've always experienced, thought everyone else experienced it too
(Let's see if anyone else noticed this pecularity)... I don't have allergys per se, but
every morning, before the 1st BM of the day, I get extremely congested & nasally.
Like my muscous glands were working overtime, watery eyes.. just like an allergy

Dry mouth/thirst... I now experience 'sudden dry mouth'. (usually sign of a flare). It's like all of the saliva in my mouth just instantly disappears, without any warning I'm not dehydrated (according to the old pinch test, and I drink plenty of fluids) but I've always had a need to drink plenty of fluids (I can't eat a meal without a drink) And I drink huge quantities. (problem when it was alcohol - but thats another tale) I just thought that my drinking huge amounts was just natural, becuse of my size. But my youngest son, still not as tall as his brother or myself, drinks that way too! And he has already become lactose intolerant, and gets severe acid reflux from it..

Occasional 'sudden urge' BM's... Not the same as the 'spontaneous' Big D that I've
come to know and hate since this illness kicked into high gear, but was before that
I would every once in a while have this develop where I only had 15 - 20 min. alert

Coating on the tongue.. taken these as some kind of early warning of major flare.
No symptoms (cold, flu, fever, etc..) to go with them.. Show up, last 1 - 2 days, go
and then a really bad flare occurs... Mouthwash, toothpaste, nothing works on it..

OK, that's my list of normal to me, bizarre to everyone else? symptoms that I have
experienced during my life. Not sure if any/all of them DIRECTLY tie into Colitis/IBD

A

andilynn09

I was only DX'd in April, but so far I've mostly just noticed joint problems...pain, swelling, etc.

I have also some skin problems...dry skin, and some small "bumps" (for lack of a better word) on my legs.

Also have noticed a change in my eyes....seem to be more dry than they were before even. They are also more prone to redness and pain it seems.

The rest of the fun changes I've seen have been thanks to the meds I'm on versus the disease itself.:thumbdown:

X

xrayzerase

for me:
the worst: very bad heartburn (chronic-even if i don't eat)-still there (tho i think i am still in flare)
when i was in flare (w/o meds)(just before dx and put on meds) i noticed some blurry/double vision
shingles (on nerve near left eye-tho-not sure how that relates..)(like 5 or so years ago..forget)-had saliva gland infection at same time..
area near right eye -skin gets red and itchy -small patch-during stress/and/or flare
runny nose/dry eyes/allergies-especially during flare
pain in stomach area (?) -w/o nausea usually
sometimes discomfort in bladder area/and ofcourse-lower ab and left side upper ab
lately: frequent urination (maybe the meds/drinking more water etc..--but it's like every 15 minutes sometimes..)

M

meowsie

Yanno, I had never attributed my dry skin to the Crohn's, but I guess it makes sense. Well hmph!

My flaring symptoms are usually unbearable belly cramps, big D, and vomiting up everything I eat b/c it can't get thru the obstruction. Of course, weight loss as well.

Kev

Yeah, I think it's important not to include changes/symptoms that sprouted up after diagnosis... possibly due to meds, drug interactions, diet changes, etc.. And 'classic'
symptoms everyone knows about.. But these others... Welll, they might offer early warning signs of IBD, IBS, Colitis, Crohns.. I've been thinking about that a lot AFTER
I wrote down the common issues I had back then & those my youngest son has now

S

Skinsfan1229

I can understand dry skin...mal-absorbtion takes the nutrients or vitamins whichever you'd like to call it out of your skin, because you lack it in your body.

Interesting kev that we both have nail problems, my PCP says might be the meds i'm on when I flare, but I honesty feel its the disease. I also wake up with the nasally congestion and such before a bm, usually cleared up a little while after waking.

I do have allergies though...ironically its whenever everyone ISNT having allergy problems, its like mine are winter allergies not spring.

V

Valentina

Mine:
• Im growing Kidney stone #4 as we speak. think its going to be a good one :)

• I had some sort of "childhood" arthritis when I was a kid, cant remember the exact term for it, it was awful in my knees, then I had tendinitis and birsitis a lot in my teens in my hips and shoulders. all that seems to be gone now that Ive got crohns to deal with, small blessings :) just get really stiff neck and top of shoulder pains when Im stressed.

• used to have really low blood pressure to the point of fainting enough in my life Ive lost count.. then *poof* one day I went in and have super high blood pressure with no real answers to all the tests as to why. so I will be on blood pressure meds from this day forward.

• Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS)

• had trouble with my nails growing quickly as well, but mostly the problems were my big toe nails, had to have them surgically cut eventually (removed part of it on the sides because they kept growing into my skin)

• since the meds Ive had a bad bone scan and have to take calcium now, but really cant wrap my head around that since my body seems to have too much calcium (all going to my little stone maybe ;))

Im sure there is more Im forgetting, and the symptoms that are drug related could fill a few pages, so I will stop now for all our sakes. :)

Kev

This gets quirkier & quirkier... Yeah, I had my two large toe nails removed... I didn't come out of the anestetic completely, and five nurses had to wrestle me down on the hospital guerney to prevent me from grabbing my toes post op... Talk about funny! Now, at the time, they thought (and this still could be the case/cause) my reason for having nail trouble was from trying to stuff my feet into shoes that were too small. (I take a 14 EEEEE, sometimes have to settle for 13 EEE).. But I don't think thats what accounts for yours... But then again, I guess one should never assume anything..

As for kidney stones, you have my deepest sympathy.. I passed a few, and of all the pain I've endured over the years (inc'l shattered kneecap, crushed leg, and a few stabbings, etc..) I found passing stone the most debihilating... I couldnt' move.
Just curled up in fetal position... God bless morphine. Polycystitis/pancreatic pain
hurt more (cause the pain/pressure just never let up, even momentarilly UNLESS I was given drugs) BUT nothing compares to the sharpness/intensity of passing a stone EXCEPT for childbirth (not a personal comparison, its a stated medical one).
Now, I was floored when I was told that instead of lowering your calcium intake to avoid stones, you actually need to increase it - common sense would not agree, but I've been told it now by enuff doctors/nurses/nutritionists that I accept it. Why
it works that way I don't know... I also know that a major factor in the growth of kidney stones is dehydration.. If you aren't taking in enuff fluids to flush out your kidneys, then calcium deposited there will start turning into more and more stones
One of the reasons I drink cranberry juice is that it's good for flushing the kidneys.
But you probably know all of this already, plus a whole lot more. As for arthristic pain, I've suffered it for years.. thought it was just osteo arthritis... but now that I am in full blown IBD, it flares when I flare, then it goes away when I'm not flaring.
(except for end of day joint pain/headache from all of the 5 ASA I'm taking daily. I also note (with some relief) that I don't recall catching a cold or flue since I became
ill... And in Atlantic Canada, that's virtually unheard of, esp. if you go to the docs..

Anyway, it's either quirky funny, quirky odd, or the quirkiest coincidence I've ever heard off...

V

Valentina

Kev said:
I also note (with some relief) that I don't recall catching a cold or flue since I became
ill... And in Atlantic Canada, that's virtually unheard of, esp. if you go to the docs..

Anyway, it's either quirky funny, quirky odd, or the quirkiest coincidence I've ever heard off...
LOL Kev.
funilly enough, Ive noticed that Ive been lucky in the cold/flu department as well since Ive started treating my crohns (and I was really ill, and open to pick up just about anything I thought)
in the past 2 years or so, since Ive been on every immune suppressant drug you can name, I think thats pretty good odds. or Im just a germ freak since all this has started and wont let anyone touch me without boiling themselves first ;) lol

M

Micheladelfina

Eye infections, skin rashes, joint pain

Right before and during a flare up, I get chronic eye infections, waking up with my eyes "glued" shut. Joint pain is a constant, particularly in the lower back, and I occasionally get these large red bumps that spread over my lower legs, chest and back. They kind of look like giant mosquito bites.

S

Skinsfan1229

Wow micheladelfina, those are pretty un-common, or atleast I've not heard many people say they get the leg sores, I think thats interesting.

Cara Fusinato

Sarcastic Forum Comedian
Does anyone else have bad teeth / gums? For the past two years, my dentist has shook his head about why I got a sudden increase in tartar. For a while, I figured it was because I often took ant-acids and that changed the pH in my mouth, but now I am wondering if it is systemic. They want me to do some complicated regimin to help reduce the tartar that forms and irritates the gums. I have good dental hygiene, but it's not enough. Anyone else suffer from seemingly excessive tartar or inflamed gums?

C

Cathy

I'm still kinda new to this.. Diagnosed in August 06, but I have had migrating joint pain for 3-4 years now.

One of the first symptoms besides my bm's and acid reflux/acid stomach, were dry eyes and mouth. After a while the palm side of my fingers got real dry. I also have coating on the tounge.

The past few weeks I have been having Acne problems, but I don't know if this is the illness or if it's the Asacol.

I don't know if I am in or out of what you call a flare. I don't have diarreah like I did when I was hospitalized, but I have 2-4 abnormal looking (not to talk about smelling) BM's a day.

S

Skinsfan1229

cara could it be from vomitting? the stomach acids destroying your enamel on your teeth.

R

ruthymg

Ok, I have the following too:

Dry skin
Very sensitive skin, can't use bath oils or perfumed body lotions
Red eyes and recurring conjunctivitis
Muscle ache - mostly back, shoulders, neck
osteoporosis in my back and hips
constant tiredness
sensitive teeth and gums
very brittle nails
Fistulas
dust and pet allergies (used to have hayfever - not so bad now)
mood swings - can be very bad tempered - put this down to crohns, because I never used to be

and of course all the other nasty symptoms of crohns

Oh the joys of IBD's!!!!

Ruth

tonya_n_ky

Hi all.. My crohnsy issues :

*Fatigue * Muscle Aches * Joint Pain * Fever (mostly in the evening for some reason) * Diarrhea (cha cha cha...Charmin) * Dehydration * Malnutrition * Brittle Nails (due to vitamins not absorbing , I suppose) *Mood Swings (My 15 yr old mentioned that one while looking over my shoulder, lol)

Basically I feel 90% of the time like I have the flu, but without the runny nose.

Oh by the way, I have had the "bumps" on my legs as well in the past, Here's a little something I found on-line about it... They are called Erythema Nodosum's.

Erythema Nodosum - Skin Disorder Related to IBD
This skin condition is more common in women than men.
Skin disorders are a common extra intestinal symptom of inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), occurring in up to 25% of people with ulcerative colitis and Crohn’s disease. Some of these skin conditions are pyoderma gangrenosum, aphthous ulcers, and erythema nodosum. Erythema nodosum is a skin condition that most often affects people with Crohn’s disease, but can also develop in those who have ulcerative colitis.

What is erythema nodosum?
Erythema nodosum are painful red nodules (or lesions) that most often develop on the arms or lower legs, but may also appear in other places on the body. This condition is more prevalent in adults than children, and women than men.
The formation of lesions may be preceded by a flu-like feeling, or generalized pain the joints. The lesions themselves may first appear as tender, red nodules, becoming hard and painful in the first week. The lesions may appear bluish or black and blue, and feel as if they contain fluid during the second week, and then slowly turn yellowish before healing. The lesions themselves each last for about two weeks, but may be replaced by new lesions when they resolve. The cycle may be over after the first batch of lesions appear and then heal, or may continue for several weeks to months.

Causes
In IBD, erythema nodosum may appear during a flare-up. It may follow the course of IBD and improve when the flare-up is better controlled.
Other causes of erythema nodosum include bacteria infections, fungal infections, Hodgkin’s disease, sarcoidosis, Behcet’s disease, pregnancy, and medications (such as sulfa drugs).

Diagnosis
When erythema nodosum occurs in a person with diagnosed IBD, there may be no tests done, as the condition is known to occur with IBD. In persons who do not have IBD, a physician may order tests, such as x-rays, blood cultures, and biopsy, to rule out an infection or other disease or condition.
Treatment
Because erythema nodosum tends to resolve on its own, there is usually no specific treatment given. Treatment is usually only needed to alleviate the pain caused by the lesions or in the joints. This may include cool compresses, leg elevation, and rest.
Nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) may also be helpful in providing pain relief, but they should be used with caution in persons who have IBD. NSAIDs may cause a flare-up in some people with IBD, and should only be used under the direct supervision of a gastroenterologist. Dermatologists or other physicians who treat skin disorders may not realize that NSAIDs have this negative effect on IBD.

Corticosteroids, potassium iodide, and antithyroid agents may also be used in severe or chronic cases of erythema nodosum. Limiting activity may also be recommended to help decrease the time it takes for the lesions and other symptoms to resolve.

Cara Fusinato

Sarcastic Forum Comedian
Back to my teeth . . . thanks for the suggestion, but I don't vomit, pretty much ever (except for an occasional major hang-over). They now have me on using something called gel-cam after I brush. You put this kind of flouride treatment on and leave it all night to change the pH of the mouth and keep plaque from adhering. We'll see in 6 months if it helped.

tonya_n_ky

Hey Cara...I too have more trouble with my teeth than I ever have before the crohn's. I just went to the dentist last month and she picked til I was bleeding and telling me I needed to brush better BUT I DOOOO....I have always been big on making sure my mouth is clean so I too think it has something to do with the crohn's. Lack of vitamins (calcium...something) Let me know how the gel-cam works, I have never heard of it before. I just brush, floss and use mouthwash twice as much now and hoping it keeps them healthy. ~ Tonya

go to my reply on the skin problems in the support forums... can't get worse than that... yes the crohns can actually manifest itself externally on your skin. Unfortunate, but true.