• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Psoriasis

Hi, The last little while I notice plaque like dry patches on my leg and up near my groin area. Is psoriasis common with crohns? Or common with taking humira?

my little penguin

Staff member
Both
Crohns and psoriasis share similar genes
Humira is used to treat psoriasis
But there can be a unmasking of additional autoimmune disorders when you already have one disease and take a biologic
It does cause the disease but you become aware of it quicker
Also humira can cause a psoriasis reaction where if you stop the drug 33% see the psoriasis stop ,33% see no change and another 33% get worse

My son developed juvenile arthritis while on humira
Those two are found together often and sane genes etc….
Plus humira is used to treat juvenile arthritis alone
Fwiw his arthritis did not disappear when he was switched to Stelara

Definitely see a dermatologist
They can diagnose what the skin issue is .

Both
Crohns and psoriasis share similar genes
Humira is used to treat psoriasis
But there can be a unmasking of additional autoimmune disorders when you already have one disease and take a biologic
It does cause the disease but you become aware of it quicker
Also humira can cause a psoriasis reaction where if you stop the drug 33% see the psoriasis stop ,33% see no change and another 33% get worse

My son developed juvenile arthritis while on humira
Those two are found together often and sane genes etc….
Plus humira is used to treat juvenile arthritis alone
Fwiw his arthritis did not disappear when he was switched to Stelara

Definitely see a dermatologist
They can diagnose what the skin issue is .
Thanks for the reply. Yes I have appts booked with my GI and family dr and will get referred.

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
I ended up with inverse psoriasis, have issues at ‘folds’ mostly- under breasts, groin area etc. I use steroid cream sparingly to keep it under control, and live with the annoyance of it vs stopping Remicade since that works so well to control my Crohns.

It's common in people who have Crohn's. I've had psoriasis for years. Mostly on the scalp, sides of my face, elbows, and knees, but when I would have flares, I'd have patches pop up in various other places. On Humira, I've noticed that it's now mainly sticking to my scalp. My GP gave me a prescription for nizoral shampoo and it keeps the flaking mostly under control.

crohnsinct

My daughter’s both got paradoxical psoriasis from Remicade. One was very severe but like Lisa she chose to keep Remicade because Crohn’s was worse. She lresponse to Remicade and switched to Entyvio. Psoriasis got worse. Added Humira, psoriasis got worse. Now on Rinvoq and psoriasis cleared everywhere but scalp and scalp got noticeably better.

My other daughter has moderate scalp psoriasis and mild psoriasis on her body. She uses topical meds two weeks in, two weeks off. It helps her.

Osiriasis caused by anti tnf ironically is not dose dependent. You would think decreasing the dose might help but that’s not what they have found in studies. Also, it only clears in a portion of cases. I had heard 50% but haven’t looked at the numbers in awhile so MLP’s quote of 30% is likely more accurate.