• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Rectal stump - what's normal?

Hello,

I am new here, so I apologise if I am not posting in the correct section.
My husband had a subtotal colectomy with end ileostomy at Christmas. He fell ill very quickly and was eventually diagnosed with ulcerative colitis/chron's (the consultants seem to swap and change?) My question is...

The rectal stump began to bleed after a few months, which was treated with Pentasa suppositories once a day. He stopped them after a month and the blood returned after going without Pentasa for a week. He is now taking Pentasa on a permanent basis, but he still gets some blood staining in his discharge. Is this normal?

Many thanks for taking the time to read this

I would contact his GI doctor as well as his primary care physician. A little bit of discharge may be normal, but it sounds like they should do a second look. If he has active inflammation in the small bowel, it can manifest itself as blood.