• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Remicade + Immuran anyone ?

Im starting Imuran soon ... got already 3 remicade infusions, and going for next one in 8 weeks. What do you think about this combination ? Anyone using it ? Im scared to death because of high risk of lymphoma :hallo2:

I am taking both. The risk doesnt bother me too much but thats because I am a female and it tends to happen more with young males. I also only plan on taking imuran for 6 months to really kick my remission into gear. Then my husband and I want to have more kids when I get off the imuran.

The combination does increase the chances of remission so you have to decide if the risk is worth the benefit. You can decide to take it for a shorter amount of time like a year or something and then stop taking it to reduce your risk of serious side effects.

Its a hard decision, but you dont have to do anything you dont want to do.

Hi, I have been on that combination for about two years and have had outstanding results. The theory behind the combination is that the Imuran prevents the body from creating anti-bodies to the Remicade. The body has a potential to create anti-bodies to Remicade because it was engineered from both human and mouse DNA.

I'm not concerned about the lymphoma risk. I know what life was like before I started this therapy and don't want to go back there.

Yeah my GI said that I should take this for 6 months ... And she thinks that it is very important to take it. I trust her , but those statistics are freaking me out, coz im young male :hallo2:

Im in remission already, forgot how it is to flare ! Getting my remicade infussion again in 8 weeks, and until then i must get imuran ... I really hope it will work for me.

I'm not on Remicade, but Humira and I'm about to start Imuran soon. My GI doc is scheduling monthly blood work to make sure things are watched carefully while on it, so just make sure if your GI doesn't specifiy how regularly you should get blood work done you bring it up! My GI also said I wouldbe on Imuran for at the most a year to, like Lydia said, kick me into remission :) I'm looking forward to that!

I'm not on Imuran but I'm on 6-mercaptopurine, which is very similar. I am also on Remicade. So far, I haven't knocked myself completely into remission but I'm starting to have more good days and I hope that means soon I'll be out of this flare. Also, I haven't had any major side effects with either, just some fatigue, which I can't determine if it is due to the flare or the meds. My doctor also said that using the combination therapy has a higher success in inducing a remission and being able to stop steroids.

Best of luck!

from what I understand the biologics are still to new to know the long term success. The GI team I am with will use them only in situations where AZA/6mp is rejected by the patient or where they are needed to help induce remission. But they do not feel that they are proven to be as effective as AZA/6mp in maintaining remission over the long haul. However if people were not taking the biologic long timer we would never know so keep up the good work and pave that path for the rest of us :lol:

The only way I ended up in remission was by getting the bad parts cut out. I will be getting assessed this fall to see how the fistula situation is doing in there.

I was reading the package insert that came with my remicade. Its says that people on imuran/6 mp are also less likely to develop antibodies to remicade. Which makes sense since so many people end up allergic to it and have to stop taking it. So I can see why doctors would prescrie both since it can prevent the allergy.

Remicade had no effect. My GI suggested Humira but when I read the list of side effects it really scared me.

After doing my own research I found out about the LDN trial at Penn State and asked my GI to write me a script. To my GI's surprise I'm doing very well...almost a year on LDN and the most beautiful thing is noooo side effects!!

RobK

Lydia said:
I was reading the package insert that came with my remicade. Its says that people on imuran/6 mp are also less likely to develop antibodies to remicade. Which makes sense since so many people end up allergic to it and have to stop taking it. So I can see why doctors would prescrie both since it can prevent the allergy.
Yes you are less likely to develop a immunity to the Remicade while on Imuran. Just remember that you will be at a higher risk for tuberculosis and death by pneumonia. You should probably get your doctor to do a TB skin test once a year. Also make sure you are up to date on your pneumonia vaccine. The cdc? recently updated there vaccination schedule. They say now that for immuno-compromising conditions to have 1 or 2 boosters of the pneumonia vaccine in your entire adult life.

It used to say (in 2006) to get your vaccine for pneumonia every 5 years. Me I'm gonna stick with the 5 year vaccination, since I'm on Remicade.

RobK said:
Remicade had no effect. My GI suggested Humira but when I read the list of side effects it really scared me.

After doing my own research I found out about the LDN trial at Penn State and asked my GI to write me a script. To my GI's surprise I'm doing very well...almost a year on LDN and the most beautiful thing is noooo side effects!!

RobK
Humira is the same medicine as Remicade. The only difference is that it is compromised entirely of human protein molecules. Remicade is compromised of 30% rat protein which is why a lot of people have trouble with it. Also, the side effect list of aspirin is scary.

Also even if you get on a clinical trial of a drug that does not mean you will actually receive the drug. About 1/3 of the people in a clinical trial will receive a placebo (sugar pill not real medicine); another 1/3 will receive the medicine at half strength; the final 1/3 will receive the medicine at full strength.

http://www.drugs.com/sfx/aspirin-side-effects.html

Aspirin Chewable Tablets

All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome when using Aspirin Chewable Tablets:

Heartburn; nausea; upset stomach.

Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur when using Aspirin Chewable Tablets:

Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); black or bloody stools; confusion; diarrhea; dizziness; drowsiness; hearing loss; ringing in the ears; severe stomach pain; unusual bruising; vomiting.

Last edited: