• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Skin Issues and Infections

I started Remicade in the summer of 2018 and within 24 hours all my symptoms that I'd been struggling with had disappeared. I take it along with azathioprine and I've learned that it won't work as well with out it. I tried going off it in 2020 and some of the symptoms started to return so I'm back on it. I'm now in remission (woo hoo) but I get a lot of side effects.

What kind of infections does everyone normally get with remicade?

1. I got a belly button infection twice (in Dec 2018 and 2020). No history of piercing but I had surgery 5 years ago through my belly button so maybe it is susceptible. It's so random.
2. I got shingles on my forehead in 2019 (I seriously wanted to die from the pain).
3. Had a nodule grow on my cheek which I got removed and a biopsy done on it and it was linked with Birt Dube syndrome (so random) but the doctor wasn't concerned. I don't have this disease btw.
4. Ever since Aug 2020 I've had strange little round scabby rashes first on my back, lower stomach. I did a video call with a doctor and he said it might be a fungal infection and I got a cream with a steroid/antibiotic/fungal cream just in case. They took a while to clear up but now I have them on my leg and foot and they're huge scabby sores. They're not painful or itchy so it took me awhile to actually notice them in the first place.

I'm interested in hearing other people's experiences! Hope you're all doing well. I've been off this forum for a few years because I've been feeling normal again so I'm kind of out of the loop. :p

Hello, nice to meet you online. Fungal infections are really common, mostly due to excessive sweating and moisture on the skin causing bacteria to grow. Washing and drying thoroughly is really important and using talc to absorb sweat. Wearing cotton and not nylon also. If left untreated, you can get a really nasty red painful rash needing antibiotics. Favourite spots are under the breasts, belly button, panti-line.
The scabs on your legs and feet sounds like
psoriasis and you will need creams to stop the spread. Often linked to arthritis later in life ( psoriatic arthritis ).

I also have those rushes in random spots on my body (back, legs). Some of them are bigger, some very small - all are itchy. I am treating them as eczema with cream, but they are not going away. With the air heating in my home and the air drier in the winter I am waiting for the weather change to see if they will go away. They are definitely not a fungal infection in my case.

crohnsinct

My two daughters had a paradoxical response to Remicade and got psoriasis. For one she broke out a huge scaly mess. The other got those small round scary spots on her stomach and then back and then legs and maybe a couple on her arms. They come and go but now she has scalp psoriasis also. She has good luck with topical treatments. Her sister can't get rid of the psoriasis even after failing Remicade and moving to Entyvio and Humira. Topicals don't work for her either. For some patients reducing the Remicade dose works or trying another biologic but it only works 50% of the time and my daughter would rather control the Crohn's and use topical creams, ointments and just deal with the horrible psoriasis than have her Crohn's flare.

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
Hi and welcome back!

I'm going to add my experiences - as I have had some similar ones. I've been on Remicade since Fall 2005, and no plans on changing since it handles my Crohns so well....

What kind of infections does everyone normally get with remicade?

1. I got a belly button infection twice (in Dec 2018 and 2020). No history of piercing but I had surgery 5 years ago through my belly button so maybe it is susceptible. It's so random. - I get very dry skin, like eczema - the past few months I have it in my belly button - steroid cream takes care of it but it does come back.
2. I got shingles on my forehead in 2019 (I seriously wanted to die from the pain). I had shingles a few years ago- had it on my torso, NASTY pain and blisters.....
3. Had a nodule grow on my cheek which I got removed and a biopsy done on it and it was linked with Birt Dube syndrome (so random) but the doctor wasn't concerned. I don't have this disease btw. No history here of this, however I do see a dermatologist once a year for a check up and more often if needed.
4. Ever since Aug 2020 I've had strange little round scabby rashes first on my back, lower stomach. I did a video call with a doctor and he said it might be a fungal infection and I got a cream with a steroid/antibiotic/fungal cream just in case. They took a while to clear up but now I have them on my leg and foot and they're huge scabby sores. They're not painful or itchy so it took me awhile to actually notice them in the first place. - Where to start.....a few years back I had strep - right after that I broke out in an awful rash - google Gutatte Psoriasis - dry flaky skin, covered my entire torso...I still have spots here and there, mainly areas under my breasts where the skin flakes and will split if I don't take care of it.....and also on the inside of my ankles.

I'm interested in hearing other people's experiences! Hope you're all doing well. I've been off this forum for a few years because I've been feeling normal again so I'm kind of out of the loop. :p