• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Traveling and Eating out SCD

I have been doing really well for over a year now eating a slightly modified version of the Specific Carbohydrate Diet (I eat sweet potatoes often, and rice very occasionally...but otherwise SCD). I am confident in my routine...But I am planning a weekend trip this summer where I will be attending a friend's wedding and staying in a hotel for a few nights with friends.
Where I live I know of a couple places I can go out to eat, but I'm always nervous to try places..worried about hidden sugar in things...

Advice for making SCD work without your own kitchen?

I have found that when I eat out if I am just honest with the server I can usually get something good to eat. I tell them that I have a digestive condition and that certain foods bother me. Sometimes I just ask "do you have any dishes that have a plain cooked chicken breast with cooked veg" they can usually modify something. Mc Donald also has a grilled chicken wrap that doesn't bother me. You can always pack your snacks that work for you. I think most commercial restaurants you can go to their web site and look at menue, possibly there nutrition info might be available too. Good luck
Whoops!