• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Azaithprine long term

Hi everybody. I hope you’re all well.

regarding azathioprine and the length of time to be on the medication

a little back ground. I was diagnosed with crohns when I was 12. I was on and off prednisone for 4-6 years. When I was 18 I had an operation and had part of my small intestines removed. I was then put on azathioprine. I’ve been on azathioprine for now 15 years. More I read about the medication the more I’m getting concerned over the length of time I’ve been on this medication. I would say my crohns has been in remission for a good 10 years. I may have the odd week where things aren’t perfect but tidying up my
Diet and been careful what I eat I’m back to my so called normal.. or what is with crohns call normal. I’m curious why I haven’t had my medication removed since been in remission for so long..I also take mezavant xl. Any comments and people been in a similar situation or views on the matter? Tia

I have only been on azathioprine a few months. But to answer why the doctors don’t remove the medication even when you are in remission. Once the doctors find a medication that works for you they usually keep you on it until it does not work anymore. 1 because it is keeping you in remission. 2 there are not a lot of medications to treat crohn’s and some patients have to keep switching medications until 1 hopefully works.

I have been on azathioprine for about 7 years now, and only got to remission whilst on it. But he is now asking questions about taking me off of it as its been so long. I don't mind lowering at most. But it scares me I will be taken off, go active and it won't work for me if I go back on it. So I will be fighting him on it.
I did have a skin cancer scare and was told he will only change meds or take me off if it's definitely cancer. So I'm a little confused how they stand tbh.
If they aren't stopping it, and it works for you.. Great!