• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New member, just had first colonoscopy since op :/

My crohns story is a bit up and down, took 6 months to get a clear diagnosis due to being on steroids for 6 months straight ( finally found out due to an mri), couldn't get off them for the next 6 months as everytime I dropped below 40mg of pred I'd flare and be in crippling pain. They tried Humira injections for 6 months which again had no effect on my pain levels and still couldn't get off the steroids before they realised nothing was going to work and that surgery was the only option, at this point I was pretty much skin and bones needing iron transfusions and b12 injections.

Surgery was done in April of this year and was complicated as always, planned key hole surgery but it turned into emergency open and had to remove large sections of my small bowel and the join to the large bowel. Recovery was hell, I spent a week in hospital and the first 3 days are a blur, the only thing I remember was several Drs / consultants / professors coming around and poking and prodding and threatening to take me back into surgery because they thought something was wrong as I was in that much pain ( even on morphine drip) and my stats were so low. Not quite sure how I managed to avoid the blood transfusion .

But anyway that's my background story 8 months post surgery things are still up and down, I don't get the pain as much but switch wildy between D&C, had my 6 month follow up appoints and it really felt like my consultant didn't have the time of day for me because I said I wasn't in pain anymore, but knew something wasn't right. I had my first post op colonoscopy yesterday and my large bowel is healthy enough however at the join and starting to go into the small it's red and ulcerated, really scared that it's the start of my disease flaring again, they didn't even bother going into the small properly because apparently they already knew what they would see, which adds to my concerns so it's back to blood tests to check the aza levels in my blood but they kept on asking me if I was planning to start a family anytime soon which is something I'm desperate for but my bf is strongly against, To me that sounds like they are looking at the possibility of going back to Humira/ remi 😕 Just wondering if anyone has any words of advice? Sorry for the large story X

You said something about going back to Humira\Remicade. If you go back on one you have been before , ask the doctor about getting tested for antibodies. By the way, welcome to the group. Let us know how you are doing.