• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Humira and blood tests

My Butt Hurts

Squeals-a-lot!
Does anyone know what blood tests I need while on Humira? And if so, how often, or how soon after starting Humira?
I think there's a white blood cell check, but I don't even know what it's called.
I may very well know more than my g.i. about Humira, and I have an appointment in 2 days. Anything else I need to more than him about?? He nevre sent me for blood tests while I was on sulfasalazine, even though I read that I should have one, and asked about it. I got him to send me for a bunch recently, but I can't remember what for. I mentioned celiac, and how I wanted to get my mother-in-law off my back about it, so he sent me for that and said "while you're there..." for about 6 more tests.

Also, how long does it take for the "can't fight infections as well" to kick in?
I've only been sick once all winter - a fever, not even one cold yet. I can't wait to be sick through the whole spring (sarcasm).

In general you probably don't need any, but most doctors should leave you with a standing blood order to monitor inflammation, metabolites, blood chemistry, stuff like that. It's a good idea for you to have a blood draw every 2-3 months anyway with crohns to monitor your health since nutrient absorption is drastically altered in most of us.