• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

NSAID- are they safe while flaring

L

leonghoward

I have chronic arthritis (AOSD) and my rheum. doctor keeps wanting to try a new NSAID. Anyone know of any research proving either safe or not while Crohn's flaring.:voodoo:

S

Skinsfan1229

You should def not take that if you are even feeling naseuas I believe.

M

Micheladelfina

Don't do it!!!

From what I have read and from my own personal experience, the NSAIDs are a bad choice for IBD in general, whether or not you are currently flaring. They can cause intestinal bleeding (do any of us really need that?) and for me, made my flares worse. Tylenol, however, is different from the NSAIDS, and has worked brilliantly for me in the past. Check with your doctor, of course.

mikeyarmo

Co-Founder
The vast majority of Non-Steroid Anti-Inflammatory Drugs (NSAIDS) should be completely avoided by those suffering with Inflammatory Bowel Disease. As Michael accurately said, they can cause intestinal bleeding, and they can further increase the activity of Crohn's Disease or Ulcerative Colitis, making flairs much worse.

I doubt your doctor is very knowledgable about IBD, as this is a rather well-known fact in most IBD literature. Perhaps you should discuss this with your doctor, as they might look into it more by themselves.

S

Skinsfan1229

Actually my GI tells me I can take one dose of a NSAIDS for headaches I get from methotrexate, just one, but thats where I got the nasuea, he said if I 'm nassues no not take it. But I'm taking fiorinal for them now, works pretty good.

mikeyarmo

Co-Founder
I think NSAID's are okay to take in moderation (like in your case Chris), but they should not be taken daily or on a repeat basis. Most things will not cause problems in small doses taken very irregularly, but NSAID's taken daily can likely cause worstened IBD symptoms.