• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Questran & meal times?

I've been using Questran for 10yrs now but even after all this time the best timing when to take Questran eludes me. Some say take with meals, just causes the most awful painful bloating for me. I've heard never ever take it on a empty stomach etc. Timing appears critical with this stuff so I would appreciate any other experiences on how to take it successfully without getting the awful bloating.
Tks
Grant

crohnsinct

Sorry Grant, my daughter took that drug but only for two weeks. They thought she might have bile acid malabsorption but it didn’t help her diarrhea so nope it was just her Crohn’s. She didn’t have the problem with bloating that you mention but it is listed as a side effect. She did however get very sick from it. I think it might have aspartame in it and she can’t process aspartame.

Lynda Lynda

I have been taking Cholestyramine Powder for 20 years ! I am totally sick of drinking the stuff, especially because it can inhibit the absorption of medications. Because of the Cholestyramine I have a medicine schedule each and every day. I have tried drinking it with meals and without meals. Or I will drink a gulp or two and then wait a few minutes and drink another gulp or two. If I chug it all down at once I get a stomach ache. I too suffer from bloating, but I cannot pin it down to the Cholestyramine itself, my bloating could be caused by many things. I take two packets a day. I put the powder in a water bottle that is half full of Arrowhead bottled water and then shake it up thoroughly. I sometimes wait a short while until it's completely dissolved so it's easier to swallow. It does not seem to dissolve properly if use bottled water that is processed by using reverse osmosis. Last November I skipped one day of my Cholestyramine Powder and I ended up going to the ER ! I had uncontrollable watery diarrhea, vomiting and dry heaves ! Holy Cow !

Take Care 🌻

I have been taking Cholestyramine Powder for 20 years ! I am totally sick of drinking the stuff, especially because it can inhibit the absorption of medications. Because of the Cholestyramine I have a medicine schedule each and every day. I have tried drinking it with meals and without meals. Or I will drink a gulp or two and then wait a few minutes and drink another gulp or two. If I chug it all down at once I get a stomach ache. I too suffer from bloating, but I cannot pin it down to the Cholestyramine itself, my bloating could be caused by many things. I take two packets a day. I put the powder in a water bottle that is half full of Arrowhead bottled water and then shake it up thoroughly. I sometimes wait a short while until it's completely dissolved so it's easier to swallow. It does not seem to dissolve properly if use bottled water that is processed by using reverse osmosis. Last November I skipped one day of my Cholestyramine Powder and I ended up going to the ER ! I had uncontrollable watery diarrhea, vomiting and dry heaves ! Holy Cow !

Take Care 🌻
Tks Lynda, its a fine balancing act with this stuff. I tried taking it with meals-result was horrible painful bloating. I ow take it 30-60mins before meals. I use one & a half sachets a day.
Rgds
Grant