• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Where to get Remicade?

I've been on Remicade for 5 years now, since age 18. I was diagnosed with Crohn's at 15, and Remicade is the first drug that alleviated my symptoms.

For the past 2 years I've had insurance through Kaiser Permanente, which was fantastic for my infusions. I rarely got charged anything for my treatments, just the occasional $10 copay. Unfortunately, my husband's company just changed insurance providers, and now I have some lame PPO with an extremely high deductible ($5,000+).

I live in Southern California, and am trying to find out where the cheapest place to get my treatments would be. I've called around to gastroenterologist offices and GI centers, and have only found a couple that do Remicade infusions and actually were able to provide prices (~$700/100mg). It seems hard to find places that do it - let alone places that can give me a price. I just had a treatment January 31st, so the clock is ticking. I appreciate any advice you may have!

Thanks,
Cody

Hi Cody:

Have you tried to call the pharmaceutical company itself? I'm not in the States, but I was having a tough time paying for my deductible and the company helped me out with the drug costs so I was paying virtually nothing. They also have information on who is trained/knowledgeable to provide the infusions in different parts of the country.

My suggestion would be to call the Remicade folks and then go from there...

Do you have a Safeway near you? Now I live near Vancouver so I have no idea what the difference is between USA and Canada however it costs me $1000 per 100mg so $4000 per treatment for me (thank god covered by insurance). Up here the best place is Safeway because of Air Miles! I can collect despite insurance paying for it hehehe. Plus Safeway pharmacy here give 7X airmiles so 7 airmiles per $20.

Its the same price everywhere up here I believe so doesn't matter where you go just where has the best rewards.