• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Ankle pain and new rash

Hello-do any kids with Crohn’s have extreme ankle joint pain? He also just developed hive like rashes tonight and I’m worried it could develop into something worse as I’m reading about skin rashes and Crohn’s. We are going to do physical therapy for his ankles and he has compression braces, but any help/advice is appreciated. He is doing his 3rd biologic dose on Friday and is on prednisone (just diagnosed this year, age 11). Has a stricture and currently is on a low fiber diet. Thank you.

my little penguin

Staff member
Ankle pain (especially Achilles tendon (back of the ankle /heel is extremely common in ERA
A type of juvenile arthritis found a lot in pre teen /teenage boys who also have crohns
My child developed juvenile arthritis associated with inflammatory bowel disease at age 10/11
He has arthritis in his hands /ankles /heels /toes
Sometimes issues with knees

please see a pediatric rheumatologist before any physical therapy
physical therapy is good after they figure out if there is inflammation
That would change how your child exercises in therapy etc….

my little penguin

Staff member
Rash -make sure you see a dermatologist (adult version tend to be more in the know for crohns EIM of the skin)
Understand hives do not stay in the same place for more than 24 hours
They appear and reappear in different places
EIM rashes for crohns are very different
My kiddo had rashes we thought were hives (very allergic kiddo ) even allergist was fooled at first
But turned out to be sweets syndrome which is associated with crohns … so see a dermatologist

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
The hive like rashes - are they widespread or focused around a specific area such as the legs/knees? Something to keep an eye out for is erythema nodosum..... starts out as bumps, turns in to hard nodules that look bruised and in my case I had very bad knee joint pain too. Treatment was prednisone...

Last edited:
Last night he just had a few hive like bumps on his leg and torso. I’m hoping it stays that way but where I used to not be so worried about little symptoms I’m now nervous since he’s had complications. He is already on prednisone. This disease is awful and I just want to do whatever I can to help him.

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
Last night he just had a few hive like bumps on his leg and torso. I’m hoping it stays that way but where I used to not be so worried about little symptoms I’m now nervous since he’s had complications. He is already on prednisone. This disease is awful and I just want to do whatever I can to help him.
If you don't find another cause for them - keep an eye on then and see if they turn into what look like bruises and become hard/painful/sore bumps. That is classic EN. I had it multiple times with no lingering effects, just not fun while I had it! It tends to manifest itself when in a flare too.

What dosage of prednisone is he on?

He is on 25 mg; he's been on 35 since November because he had a bowel obstruction and a hospital stay due to a stricture. We are weaning down every week now. The doc said it doesn't look Crohn's related and neither do the mouth sores, but I find it a coincidence he is having them then...

my little penguin

Staff member
mouth sores are extra intestinal manifestations of crohns due to crohns flares
Also a symptom of sweets syndrome
Definitely get a second opinion at larger university based pediatric teaching children’s hospital.

Maya142

Staff member
You should definitely see a pediatric rheumatologist. Is the joint warm or swollen? Even if it's not visibly swollen, it could still be juvenile arthritis. Enthesitis Related Arthritis is the subtype of JIA that's most commonly associated with IBD. Both my daughters have it, and the younger one does have Crohn's too. Large lower limb joints - hips, knees, ankles - are most commonly affected.