• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

SCD/Paleo/GAPS Support Group

Hi there! My husband has UC for 9 years now. He's been on a flare up for about 8 months now, and we've tried almost all of these things you've all mentioned here. We were on the Paleo diet for about 1.5 months but there was just no difference whatsoever. When we reintroduced it, his BMs were the same frequency and shape. The only difference was that he lost weight, but we're not really hoping for him to lose weight. Have any of you experienced the lack of success of all these diets?
Sorry to hear that you haven't had good results with the paleo diet. Maybe you could start a new post with your actual diet and we can offer suggestions.....
Diets like SCD and GAPS have an introduction phase and then a gradual reintroduction of 'legal' foods to make sure the individual tolerates them. There are plenty of ' legal' foods that an individual probably shouldn't be eating (as well as 'illegal' foods that may be fine). I would suggest starting at the Scd intro diet and adding/testing foods one at a time, but also checking what you are eating to make sure it is 'legal'/tolerated.

Hello!

I started three days ago eliminating all ilegal food according to the SCD. I used to eat many grains and potatoes, wich I think was most of my energy source. I start the diet eating fish, green beans, carrots, beets, pumpkin and eggplant. Today I'm feeling waek and unfocused, but I noticed a little good change in my stools (2 BMs). I think I lost some weight, but it may be just my psychological state. In the next few days I'll introduce avocadoes, nuts, ripe bananas, baked apples, honey and butter. I'm too skinny (62kg and 176cm) to test all foods with caution, so I hope it works well. If it doesn't, I will give a full try when I take short-course of pred.

Wish you all best of luck!

Hello!

I started three days ago eliminating all ilegal food according to the SCD. I used to eat many grains and potatoes, wich I think was most of my energy source. I start the diet eating fish, green beans, carrots, beets, pumpkin and eggplant. Today I'm feeling waek and unfocused, but I noticed a little good change in my stools (2 BMs). I think I lost some weight, but it may be just my psychological state. In the next few days I'll introduce avocadoes, nuts, ripe bananas, baked apples, honey and butter. I'm too skinny (62kg and 176cm) to test all foods with caution, so I hope it works well. If it doesn't, I will give a full try when I take short-course of pred.

Wish you all best of luck!
I had what I believe was the "carb flu" as well when I abruptly stopped eating all illegal foods for SCD and started a diet of just meat, vegetables, and fruit. For about a week I felt awful. I was tired, weak, massive headaches (I never get headaches) and was having anxiety. Most of these symptoms subsided GREATLY after that week of time. I saw results within a few weeks and feel completely "normal" currently.

I did cheat for about a month drinking beers a few nights a week and also indulging in potato chips. For the first two weeks I felt okay, but then my first flare up (about half as bad as normal) crept right in and caused me symptoms for about a week. I swore off cheating and recovered pretty fast and am back to normal again.

Keep it up! I hope its working for you, it has changed my life completely. This diet is the only thing that has turned my life 180 degrees. Good luck!

Hey all,

After 2.5 Yrs of working through Gaps, SCD and Paleo Autoimmune(No Nightshades, Eggs, Nuts) I have found what works for me. I'll bet some of this will work for you. It is worth a try to get off the meds. Cheap Medicine.

I have no symptoms as long as I am mindful of my sensitivities.

There are two "Axis of Aggravation" for my diet. Starch Aggravation and Inflammatory Aggravation.

Inflammatory Aggravation

Paleo Autoimmune Protocol (google this) asks that we, as autoimmune individuals, be mindful of the inflammatory properties of grains, dairy, eggs, nuts and nightshades. Nightshades include tomatoes, peppers, paprika, eggplant, and some other less common veg.

My body notices when I ingest the following, in order of aggravation index:
1.Gluten (highly inflammatory, immediate discomfort)
2.Nightshades (takes 1-3 days to feel the impact)
3.Dairy (is no problem for some)
3.Eggs (are no problem for some)
4.Nuts (are no problem if soaked in salt water overnight and dried in a dehydrator/oven)

Symptoms include headache, diarrhea, mental fog, constipation.

Starch aggravation

Comes from what my guts tell me when I have had something with the SCD/GAPS illegal carbohydrates. It is basically an index of how much volume I have accidentally ingested. Please refer to these diets to understand the trouble with certain types of carbs. I can not explain it gracefully, and there is a lot of data out there to lay it out.

Symptoms include abdominal pressure and crippling pain, diarrhea, vomiting.

I understand that it is important to be very strict for 4-6 weeks. Following that, just be mindful of what bothers you while trying to stick to the SCD starch restrictions.

I live without any symptoms. I make fermented sauerkraut (Google this) and pickled vegetables to boost good gut bacteria.

I take no medication apart from a great probiotic called SPOREBIOTIC which is the only probiotic I have noticed making a difference for me.

It sucks to give up these common foods. It is socially uncomfortable to stick to these restrictions. It can be easy when remembering; "It is just food, and I have lots of delicious options within these guidelines"

There are thousands of delicious recipes out there for this lifestyle. The crock pot is an incredible resource.

We had fun with pizza for part of our lives, it is ok to let it go and be honest with friends and family that it does not work for you. Don't get discouraged. Wellness is priceless.:dance::dance:

Last edited:
Hey all,

After 2.5 Yrs of working through Gaps, SCD and Paleo Autoimmune(No Nightshades, Eggs, Nuts) I have found what works for me. I'll bet some of this will work for you. It is worth a try to get off the meds. Cheap Medicine.

I have no symptoms as long as I am mindful of my sensitivities.

There are two "Axis of Aggravation" for my diet. Starch Aggravation and Inflammatory Aggravation.

Inflammatory Aggravation

Paleo Autoimmune Protocol (google this) asks that we, as autoimmune individuals, be mindful of the inflammatory properties of grains, dairy, eggs, nuts and nightshades. Nightshades include tomatoes, peppers, paprika, eggplant, and some other less common veg.

My body notices when I ingest the following, in order of aggravation index:
1.Gluten (highly inflammatory, immediate discomfort)
2.Nightshades (takes 1-3 days to feel the impact)
3.Dairy (is no problem for some)
3.Eggs (are no problem for some)
4.Nuts (are no problem if soaked in salt water overnight and dried in a dehydrator/oven)

Symptoms include headache, diarrhea, mental fog, constipation.

Starch aggravation

Comes from what my guts tell me when I have had something with the SCD/GAPS illegal carbohydrates. It is basically an index of how much volume I have accidentally ingested. Please refer to these diets to understand the trouble with certain types of carbs. I can not explain it gracefully, and there is a lot of data out there to lay it out.

Symptoms include abdominal pressure and crippling pain, diarrhea, vomiting.

I understand that it is important to be very strict for 4-6 weeks. Following that, just be mindful of what bothers you while trying to stick to the SCD starch restrictions.

I live without any symptoms. I make fermented sauerkraut (Google this) and pickled vegetables to boost good gut bacteria.

I take no medication apart from a great probiotic called SPOREBIOTIC which is the only probiotic I have noticed making a difference for me.

It sucks to give up these common foods. It is socially uncomfortable to stick to these restrictions. It can be easy when remembering; "It is just food, and I have lots of delicious options within these guidelines"

There are thousands of delicious recipes out there for this lifestyle. The crock pot is an incredible resource.

We had fun with pizza for part of our lives, it is ok to let it go and be honest with friends and family that it does not work for you. Don't get discouraged. Wellness is priceless.:dance::dance:
Could you give us a list of what types of food you can eat?

Hi everyone! I'm new here, and currently figuring out whether I have Crohn's or Colitis, but tests show it is definitely one of them, and we're leaning towards Crohn's based on symptoms. Still seeking an official decision, though.

8-10 years ago I was diagnosed with Celiac disease and then also pancreatic enzyme insufficiency, both of which I've been able to handle very successfully via diet (after having been undiagnosed for the first 30 years of my life). Having those conditions lead me down the path of nutrition, and I became a Certified Nutritional Therapist and GAPS Practitioner.

Since then, I've helped many others heal their IBDs via GAPS, so I'm looking forward to becoming my own case study, and documenting it in a way that can help others. :)

I'm wondering what the best/most popular cookbook or resource might be for low FODMAP diets? I have Crohn's & my six year old is going in for endoscopy this week. She has skin issues as well as stomach issues so I'm trying to read up on possible diagnoses that aren't Crohn's (one of the worst case scenarios in my head right now). A friend who's an allergist said he would t be surprised if she ends up on a low FODMAP diet.

I'm wondering what the best/most popular cookbook or resource might be for low FODMAP diets?
Fodmaps cookbooks may be of limited value because people have problems with different fermentable sugars.
Fodmaps diets are elimination diets, stop eating anything that might be a problem and reintroduce them slowly to work out which ones are a problem'

The idea is to work out which ones affect YOU, not to avoid all foods containing FODMAPS
FODMAPS is a 'diet' designed to help you work out which foods you can digest well and is really only a (very helpful) short term thing. Different long chain carbohydrates break down and ferment with the help of different enzymes and are fed on by (to some degree) different bacteria.
By eliminating and reintroducing them you can work out which ones are tolerated and which are not,
The FODMAPS are not the only issue in foods (you may tolerate the carbohydrates in wheat but the proteins might be doing serious damage) so it is useful for identifying what gives you pain and gas and can help a lot with quality of life but it (FODMAPS) does not make any claims about being a cure/treatment/whatever.

It does not address WHY these sugars are not being digested but in combination with paleo or SCD might be very useful [1]

I found this podcast very useful.....
(not so much the article, just scroll down to the podcast)

http://scdlifestyle.com/2012/09/dr-...rt-and-science-of-the-fodmap-diet-podcast-45/

and.....
[1] "How can you treat FODMAP intolerance?
First, addressing intestinal bacterial overgrowth or imbalance is key; even if you don’t have IBS, gut dysbiosis can lead to poor digestive function as well as contributing to FODMAP intolerance. There are a few gut-healing protocols available today, such as the GAPS Diet or the Specific Carbohydrate Diet; my personal approach is similar to an autoimmune Paleo diet.
"
http://chriskresser.com/fodmaps-could-common-foods-be-harming-your-digestive-health/

http://www.siboinfo.com/diet.html
http://paleoleap.com/fodmaps-and-paleo/

Last edited:
My son has been on the SCD for 2.5 years. He was already eating gluten free, lactose free, etc., but going all in on the SCD made the difference. His Remicade was barely working and the diet completely turned him around. The bible.of SCD is Breaking the Vicious Cycle. It is not that helpful in the specifics of what to do. I found the staged approach discussed on the SCD Lifestyle website and ebook to be very helpful. Within weeks of starting the diet and following the SCDlifestyle phases, all of his symptoms went away and his labwork became completely normal. You have nothing to lose by trying a dietary therapy. Diet can be a great compliment to any medication regimen. The SCD diet has prevented my son from needing an increase in his remicade. Good luck.

I have had a couple of bad days. My wife asked if I could get specifics about the SCD diet?
SCD Lifestyle's quick start guide
free download
http://scdlifestyle.com/scd-quick-start-guide/

The intro diet is a fairly important part of the diet,
you can't just switch from sugar to honey, muffins to nut flour muffins etc

two of he best websites on SCD
http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info/home/
http://www.pecanbread.com/index.html

I now think of SCD as a restrictive temporary measure (months or years), not a long term diet.

Added a couple of links to last post, happy to help if i can but every SCD diet is personalised.
After the intro you reintroduce foods to see if they are tolerated, so different people will be able to add different foods at different rates.
Listen to the FODMAPS podcast i posted earlier as it pairs perfectly with the SCD intro diet and might save you a lot of time/trouble

I started the SCD diet after being diagnosed back in 2008, after reading Elaine's book. I feel it really helped me as long as I stayed on the diet. My trouble was always starting to feel better like maybe I really didn't have Crohn's. That was always when the trouble began. I went on and off of it for a while, always doing better when I was strict.

Started going to a traditional chinese medicine doctor/accupuncturist. She put me on a seasonal diet and wanted me to eat some things which are illegal with SCD.

Like all diets you really have to see what works for you. Some foods do not cause issues with me and some do. I seem to always go back and feel more confident with SCD, again with what works for me.

Hello everyone,

New to Crohn's (my 11 year old son) and the possibility of SCD. Am excited to meet and chat with everyone who uses SCD about ways for us to transition to it. Have read BTVC and have started experimenting with recipes that my son will eat. Our biggest drawback is that he is also nut allergic and we are restricted to coconut flour recipes. Any good coconut flour sandwich bread recipes out there? Also looking for an SCD support network in the Philly area.

Thanks for any help!

Hi all,
I've just joined looking for support with starting the GAPS diet. Planning on starting it tomorrow. I've been preparing for 2 months, stopped sugar and all grains 2 months ago and switched my meats and eggs to free range and organic. Fermented sauerkraut and sauerkraut juice. I'm a firm believer of the diet and I changed all of my cleaning products and toiletrees to toxin free ones. A little overwhelmed now and scared to start. I guess I'm worried il make a mistake and accidentally eat a vegetable I'm not supposed to. If I do make a mistake, do I have to start all over or can I just move on ?

Hi, my daughter is on scd. Challenging? Yes. But doable. Last year we let her eat SCD illegal foods every now and then and her flares were more frequent than when we are following SCD closely. I truly believe SCD can help (with time). Juicing also helps. The base of our green juice recipe is organic celery. Trader Joe's sells the cheapest organic celery. Then I add Romaine Hearts, apple/pineapple and sometimes spinach or kale. There are many juicing recipes online.

I find misunderstandings in the paleolithic diet is mainly meat, but the meat does not cause putrefaction and consequently inflammation?

Too much red meat is not good for anyone. We should balance with fish, poultry, fruits, and veggies. From what I know, grass-fed beef does not cause inflammation.
I find misunderstandings in the paleolithic diet is mainly meat, but the meat does not cause putrefaction and consequently inflammation?

I'm undiagnosed at this time, but I suspect IBD (probably mild-moderate CD). Last year, before the abdominal pain started full-force, my old PCP (internist) was concerned about my gallbladder and has been ever since 1999 when I was diagnosed with GERD. Since I have diabetes, high cholesterol, and high BP in my family, she put me on the Paleo/Primal diet and told me to customize it for myself. At the time, I was low-income with no health insurance and finishing my Bachelor degree (I graduated in December). I now have a full-time job that I love, though it can be stressful, and HMO health insurance through work.

Anyway, I did my best to research low-carb diets and decided on Primal since it didn't require eliminating dairy (I love my milk and cheese). I did really well on it and lost over 30 lbs and 2 dress sizes. I started allowing GF grains again recently because I was looking for more variety. I try to stick with Primal as much as possible, but I'm not as strict as I once was. :)

I have no problems with meat - I eat grass fed and organic when possible - but have problems with a lot of vegetables. I also cannot eat sausages, hamburgers or any other forms of processed meat.

I just wanted to post that I am giving the SCD a second chance. I had good results for several months when I previously tried the diet, which was over five years ago. I fell off the wagon when I became more active which eventually led to eating out at restaurants that were not SCD legal. I think that since I didn't feel worse immediately I just forgot about the diet and how good it made me feel. I hope this time goes as well as the first. I think that it will, I just need to maintain the dedication.

I don't notice any problem with fiber from fruits and vegetables as long as i'm not in an acute flare. I actually think it makes my digestion better to add fruit and vegetables when i'm not flaring. My Crohn's seems to only affect my colon so maybe that helps me tolerabe fiber. Good luck everybody!

Hiya. I've decided to give SCD a try and I've been on the diet for about a month. I'm getting ready to start making yogurt. I've heard that plain Dannon yogurt can be used for a starter, but the label doesn't say which cultures are in it, just that it "contains active cultures including L. Acidophilus". Does anyone out there know what other cultures are in it? I've noticed a lot of other brands' plain yogurts have Bifidus, which the SCD people say to avoid when making yogurt.

To make yogurt I use Yogourmet freeze-dried yogurt culture (Amazon). The same brand yogurt maker too. I let it ferment for 24 hours. Makes excellent yogurt for smoothies.

I've been basically scd (plus sweet potatos, occasional rice and quinoa) and in remission for about 3 years. I have recently started feeling like I'm going into a flare. Went to the doctor today..getting tests done..but wondering about experiences of flares after long term remission on scd? Were you able to get things back under control with diet? Going back to intro diet? Or did you opt for changing/adding meds? Thanks!

I'm interested in trying paleo diet, I've got severe Crohn's & think this diet could help me! Anyone got any tips or helpful info. Thanks

dave13

Forum Monitor
When I follow the SCD I feel my best. I have followed it for three plus years...and have strayed from time to time. That is how I know it works,right?

I have found when I am vigilant with my diet I am better able to tolerate the occasional cheat. Go figure.

Not much - grated apple, watermelon, banana, a couple of cherries or a few blueberries, but almost no vegetables, peeled cucumber...

Hey,

Anyone ever try Freedom Bar ? I came across and saw on the website that was founded by a crohns worrior. Curious to know how they taste. anyone ever tried them? They seem very clean....

cmack

Staff member
No, I haven't tried one of them, if you do try them let us know if they are any good. I would be cautious and mention it first to the doctor at your next visit. I would bring the ingredient list to show the doc too. I sometimes send an email if I think it will be faster to find out an answer. That's what I do for any new supplement that I'm interested in taking anyways.

Has anyone ever tried "Intermittent Fasting?" It is not a diet, but a way of changing your eating pattern(s).
Hi Lynda Lynda,
I haven't gone there (although i am heading that way due to my own circumstances)

Keep in mind most of the information out there on the web will be for weight loss dieters and not particularly relevant to us.

My two go-to people for digestive health issues are Dr Ruscio and Chris Kresser.
A few links i found helpful in understanding how i should go about it and why it might help.....

for a quickie - 5 minutes
Is Intermittent Fasting Right For You?
https://drruscio.com/intermittent-fasting-right/

For a deep dive (an hour & 10) - perfect for that walk in the park....
Starts off generally with the importance of getting the basics right before even thinking about intermittent fasting.
Actually, more of a podcast about what to do before 'IF'
The Intermittent Fasting Podcast with Dr Ruscio
https://ifpodcast.com/2018/08/06/episode68/

and lastly....half an hour....
Is Intermittent Fasting Good For You?
"You can’t answer this question with a yes or no. There’s no one-size-fits-all approach, and intermittent fasting could be a good idea or it could be a terrible idea, depending on your circumstances."
https://chriskresser.com/is-intermittent-fasting-good-for-you/

Lynda Lynda

Hi Lynda Lynda,
I haven't gone there (although i am heading that way due to my own circumstances)

Keep in mind most of the information out there on the web will be for weight loss dieters and not particularly relevant to us.

My two go-to people for digestive health issues are Dr Ruscio and Chris Kresser.
A few links i found helpful in understanding how i should go about it and why it might help.....

for a quickie - 5 minutes
Is Intermittent Fasting Right For You?
https://drruscio.com/intermittent-fasting-right/

For a deep dive (an hour & 10) - perfect for that walk in the park....
Starts off generally with the importance of getting the basics right before even thinking about intermittent fasting.
Actually, more of a podcast about what to do before 'IF'
The Intermittent Fasting Podcast with Dr Ruscio
https://ifpodcast.com/2018/08/06/episode68/

and lastly....half an hour....
Is Intermittent Fasting Good For You?
"You can’t answer this question with a yes or no. There’s no one-size-fits-all approach, and intermittent fasting could be a good idea or it could be a terrible idea, depending on your circumstances."
https://chriskresser.com/is-intermittent-fasting-good-for-you/
I thought I had the confidence to start the 16/8 IF this weekend, but I have not started it yet. I know I can do it. I have gained weight since starting 6mp and Humira. But that aside, my habit is to eat all day and not just when I am hungry.

I'm saving your articles to read tomorrow.

Have you heard of this DeLauer guy who is a model/bodybuilder and a Ketosis "guru" who is a motivational speaker ? And a Dr. Eric Berg ?

Thanks for your help.
🌻

I thought I had the confidence to start the 16/8 IF this weekend, but I have not started it yet. I know I can do it. I have gained weight since starting 6mp and Humira. But that aside, my habit is to eat all day and not just when I am hungry.

I'm saving your articles to read tomorrow.

Have you heard of this DeLauer guy who is a model/bodybuilder and a Ketosis "guru" who is a motivational speaker ? And a Dr. Eric Berg ?

Thanks for your help.
🌻
Lynda Lynda
First up, sorry, big fingers small phone and an autocorrect that can't read my mind....
Not that I know anything about your personal circumstances (so take it with a grain of salt), but you might want to start easy (12/12 or 10/14) and if it isn't too onerous then go harder.
At this stage (on humira) I wouldn't be worrying too much about weight gain other than sticking to real food that you tolerate.
I tend to be hungry all the time too,
I'm starting to thing that I confuse uncomfortable intestines with hunger, and eat because I have pain and have pain because I eat......
There is not alot in the third podcast (the kresser one).
To summarise the first one.
If you are metabolically challenged (overweight/blood sugars etc) then it might be a good idea, if you are stressed/adrenally fatigued etc. it might be a bad idea, and if you are digestively challenged then you might want to modify it a bit, not a total fast, some easily digested liquid like bone broth.

And don't be dogmatic, if it feels bad, don't think you have to 'push through', back off and re-evaluate..

Th second podcast is the one I recommend, even though there is almost nothing about IF.

i have not heard of either, nothing a bodybuilder says has any relevance for me.
Am interested in keto as I feel like hat I think clearer on keto, but at the moment I find low carb (intermittent keto) suits me rather than very low carb/keto.

Best of luck...

Hi guys ive been recently diagnosed and Im planning to start the sc diet soon no drugs
Any tips
Getting Started with the SCD Diet with Steven Wright

https://drruscio.com/getting-started-with-the-scd-diet-with-steven-wright/